College Application Decision – Deferred? Now What?

College Application Decision – Deferred? Now What?


Written By – Admissions Expert, Dr. Lowe

High school seniors have received their College Admissions Early Decision/Early Action results. The results are producing a mixture of palpable emotions. While some happy students settle in for the holidays with their acceptance letters in hand, others will be disappointed and distressed in discovering that they have been deferred to the regular decision pool by the college or university. For those who are deferred, their applications will be re-considered along with the thousands of Regular Decision applicants. In the Regular Decision pool, the selection process becomes even more competitive and selective.

With only a few weeks left in the application season, I recommend that students scrupulously reevaluate their deferred early decision/early action application and carefully plan a workable strategy in this crunch-time. You may need to hire an educational consultant who is an expert in post-decision admissions advising. Our team begins to implement a Post-Decision Strategy right away that will continue through regular decision.

For parents who engage our services after the news of deferral, I discover what the student did to be deferred, build upon their current student profile and accomplishments and re-energize their application so that they are removed from the deferred list and placed on the accepted list.

The worst thing a student can do is nothing. What to do next? Now is the time to evaluate and successfully complete the admissions process by looking at your child through a professional lens. The worst thing parents can do is to try this post-decision process on their own.

Through our Knowledge Network, we know that between 5 % – 10 % of students who are deferred admissions are accepted to the same college Regular Decision. Those are pretty high odds! Based on our experience and 23-year track record of success, 90 % of students who approach us and retain us before January 1, after being deferred are admitted Regular Decision. 

Parents need a trusted resource to help them navigate the fast-paced and highly-selective admissions process!

“Being different and understanding differences allow me to help our clients stand out and be accepted!” – Dr. Paul Lowe 

“Admissions is a competitive sport!  Why gamble with uncertainty?” – Dr. Paul Lowe 

“Parents hire us because they choose to pay an admissions expert who will help them avoid making mistakes.” – Dr. Paul Lowe

Dr. Paul Reginald Lowe is the managing director and lead admissions expert at Greenwich Admissions Advisors. Tel. (203) 542-7288, and founder affiliates – Ivy League Admissions Advisors and Private School Admissions Advisors of the Pinnacle Educational Center Admissions Advisors Group network.

Dr. Lowe specializes in providing exclusive service for families and students who are interested in applying to top private schools, Ivy League and highly selective colleges and combined BS/MD programs. Dr. Lowe also helps students gain admissions into their top choice private schools and colleges after they have been wait-listed and rejected.